Thursday, February 4, 2010

Resources

I've been ill the last few days with some sort of demon-love child of a cold and flu mixed together. As sexy as my voice is when I am sick, the coughing is definitely getting old and I've missed two out of the last three days of work. Lovely. Thank god for salary and sick days.

But this morning I was feeling well enough to go to work so, after pressing snooze 5 times (this is not an exaggeration) I finally got up and decided to have a shower.

I totally needed it too. Not to gross out any of my invisible readers, but despite having numerous showers (steam makes my throat feel better) my hair was pretty greasy and weird this morning. Very hobo-chic. A fever and humidifier in the bedroom added to that look, creating a very mangy wet dog kind of look.

I had decided that, despite my sickness, I needed to go into work at least looking somewhat healthy. You can imagine my surprise when I go to turn the tap and....no water comes out. Well, let me correct that. A tiny baby trickle of water came out with a pathetic spurt and sigh and then quickly disappeared down the drain. I tried the sink and only cold water would come out. I found out later they were repairing an unexpected leak on another floor in my apartment building.

I looked in the mirror and contemplated my options. My hair was beyond help. I couldn't hide the mess even with a pony tail, bobby pins and hairspray. It was unruly, half kinky, half straight, frazzled ends from showering and not styling and greasy roots.

So, I did what any sane person would do. I found my largest microwaveable container, filled it up with water and nuked it. I ended up washing my hair bent over the side of the bathtub. Not the classiest way to start my morning but it worked. Of course, I was running back and forth between the kitchen and the bathroom in a towel with suds in my hair, dripping a path between the two. I couldn't settle for just shampooing my hair, I did the extra work to condition it as well. I figured if I was going to go to all this trouble, might as take that last extra step into being totally absurd.

Felt like a very Bridget Jones thing to do, to be honest. Very slap-stick morning. Thankfully, despite being ill, I was in a good enough mood to appreciate the humor of the situation.

This blog hasn't become a hair blog, in case you are wondering. The last two entries just happen to be about it. Purely coincidental.

No comments: