Saturday, August 28, 2010

Blog Challenge #16 - Get The Tissues Out

16. A song that makes you cry

How about a song that *doesn't* make me cry. I am a total sucker for good lyrics, powerful message and a beautiful harmony between voice and instrument.

I'm not going to try and explain why each individual song makes me cry because, to be honest, sometimes I'm not sure. I just know some songs make my throat burn up and no matter how hard I swallow that feeling doesn't go away until I give in and let a couple tears fall. Some songs are very personal and some are just beautiful. The End.



Father and Daugther by Paul Simon

This video is retarded (though I actually liked the Wild Thornberrys show)

Lyrics that knock my over the edge:

But you don't need to waste your time
Worrying about the market place
Try to help the human race
Struggling to survive its harshest night




Crown of Love by Arcade Fire

Oh Win Butler, you break my heart. I've only seen Arcade Fire live once but it was strange witnessing the juxtaposition between Win and the rest of the band. Their celebration of cacophony was perfectly balanced by his calm, sad tone.

The kicker:

You gotta be the one,
you gotta be the way,
your name is the only word that I can say




Somedays by Jacksoul

I know. My taste is kind of schizophrenic but I think most people have huge varying degree of music that appeals to them. Anyone who limits themselves to one genre gets my pity. Extra sad points go to this song since Jacksoul (Haydain Neale) passed away last November from lung cancer.

Here come the waterworks:

Stopped dreaming of your face
Now I don't dream at all




And I Am Telling You by Jennifer Hudson

I don't care who you are, this song is amazing if only for the vocals (though there is so much more to it then that). I think it appeals to the stubborn woman in me who thinks that I can will things to be the way I want them to be.

The one line that always gets me:

Stay, stay and hold me


Totally mess by this point but I can easily cheer up by watching Will Smith sing this on "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".





Falling Down Blue by Blue Rodeo

Blue Rodeo seems to me the quintessential country band that hits the notes and the twangs just right so that you ache. Perhaps they're not classic country but this song might as well be "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry" by Hank Williams (which is absolutely poetry and I suggest you take a listen here if you've never heard it).

Heartbreak lines:

I won't sit here staring
At nothing all night
Bleary-eyed greeting the dawn


Okay, one last song (out of hundreds...cause it doesn't take much for me to cry).



Take It All by Marion Cotillard

I would totally enter into a polygamous relationship with both the actors in this video. I have such a girl boner for Daniel Day Lewis it's disgusting. And all things Parisian attract my regard so a major girl-crush on Marion Cotillard goes without saying. Of course, I'd keep Dave around cause I need my red headed viking fix to balance out all the brunettes in this equation.

The line that breaks:

I watch you rise,
I watch you fall
while I am standing with my back
against the wall.


Now, incase you're feeling a little down, I highly suggest you watch the next video as it will cheer you right up!



There - now don't we all feel better?

No comments: